Exhibition "Grunewald – 600"
17 May 2011, 14:52
Lviv Historical Museum (LHM) stores many battle scenes paintings.
Some of them are presented in the museum exhibitions; others are kept in museum storerooms and are inaccessible to the public.
The painting "Battle of Grunewald" had been keeping at the museum funds for a long time. This huge canvas – 10, 52 x 5,30 m, was created in 1910 by two talented artists Tadeusz Popel and Zygmunt Rozwadowski to the 500th anniversary of the famous battle of allied forces of the Slavic peoples against the knights of the Teutonic order. In a specially built pavilion-studio in Krakow, the artists recreated the culminating event of Battle of Grunewald of July 15, 1410, victory in which undermined the power of the Teutonic order and stopped the expansion of German knights in Eastern Europe.
During 2010-2011, Lviv Historical Museum was actively involved into the international projects to commemorate the 600th anniversary of the Battle of Grunewald. The painting was shown in major museums of Poland and Lithuania: the Royal Castle of Wawel, the National Museum in Wroclaw, Wałbrzych Art Gallery, Lubomir Museum, and the National Museum of Lithuania – Palace of the Grand Dukes of Lithuania.
During the preparation of the project a thorough canvas restoration was conducted by twelve best specialists of the Royal Castle at Wawel, led by Dr. Ewa Vilkoits, funded by the Ministry of Culture and National Heritage of Poland.
Project “Grunewald – 600” ends in Ukraine, at “Museum-Arsenal”, where the “Battle of Grunewald” will be constantly exhibited.
The exhibition is complemented by separate exhibits – weapon (14th – 15th centuries half-handed swords, fragments of the end of the 14th century sword), reconstructions of the Teutonic Order knight armor of the early 15th century, soldiers of Podil gonfalon and the banner of Lviv of early 15th century, works of graphics, books and other exhibits, which help to recreate the atmosphere of the event, so artistically depicted by Z. Rozwadowski and T. Popel.
The painting and most of the items are represented to the public in the “Museum-Arsenal” for the first time.
Organizers of the exhibition hope that it will cause an appropriate response and will be of great interest to the citizens and the guests of the city, it will help to enlarge the knowledge of our region history.
Exhibition coordinator – LHM Vice Director T. Rudko.
Photos from the opening can be seen at the photogallery.