Exhibition "In Memory of the Great Kobzar" (To the 150th anniversary of Taras Shevchenko death) (finished)
04 April 2011, 13:00
On March 10, 1861 life of the great Ukrainian Poet, Artist and social activist – Taras Shevchenko ended. His work became the basis for the formation of modern Ukrainian nation and an inspiration for many generations of Ukrainian artists. Lviv Historical Museum has a tradition of celebration of Shevchenko anniversaries with thematic exhibitions.
The exhibition proposed is the 5th in the Museum and represents more than 200 items from the collection of Lviv Historical Museum, highlighting the tradition of honoring the memory of the Great Kobzar from the late 19th century to the present day. The works of the artists were created with great respect for life and works of Taras Shevchenko.
To the visitors attention there are represented museum objects from the following fund groups:
- “Graphics” – among the exhibits displayed the one can have a look at the works of Olena Kulchytska, Stephania Hebus-Baranetska, Oleksa Shatkivsky, Yaroslav Muzyka, Bohdan Musiyevsky and others;
- “Sculpture” – sculpted portraits of Taras Shevchenko by Mykhailo Havrylko;
- “Rare books” – such rarities as the almanac “House” dated by 1860, where Shevchenko’s poetry was published, the first …... edition of “Kobzar,” a facsimile edition of the first "Kobzar" created in Lviv in 1914 and many other interesting publications;
- “Archive” – a concert affiche in Chernivtsi on the 49th anniversary of the death of Taras Shevchenko, dated March 6, 1910, an invitation to Shevchenko’s vechornytsi in Przemysl from 1914, and other documents;
- “Placards” – particularly, the works of Vasyl Kasiyan and other posters dedicated to Shevchenko, 60-80s of 20th century.
- “Orders and Medals” – commemorative medals for Shevchenko anniversaries, starting from the 50s anniversary of the Poet's death.
- “Philately” – a collection of stamps and postcards dedicated to Taras Shevchenko.
- “Awards” – award of "Shevchenko Meeting" in Lviv in 1914, 1909 award and others.
- Picturesque work by Julian Pankevych of 1923.
Most of these items are displayed for the first time. The exhibition is complemented with the items from private collections.
The exhibition will be opened from March 10 to April 10 from 10:00 to 17:00 (day off - Wednesday)
The authors of the exhibition would like to thank all those people who helped while preparing this exhibition:
Olha Kindiy, Ruslan Sertselevych – assistance in selecting items:
Svitlana Oleksenko, Khrystyna Malinovska, Olha Arzhanova, Ihor Mysyak,Serhiy Sledz, Natalka Nosyk, Volodymyr Stanchak – decoration and installation
Andriy Kuzyshyn – exhibits restoration
Concept authors: Svitlana Havalko, Petro Slobodyan.